Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Never Say No (at least not to me)

I like to share the things I learn about myself on this blog. Well, I've discovered another thing about myself as of late. I hate being told no. But more importantly, I absolutely loathe people telling me that I can't do something (as in like I'm not able, that I lack the skill or ability to do something, not like that I can't break the rules kind of thing). Whenever someone tells me that I can't do something, whether it be big or small, something ticks in my head, and I will do everything in my power to do exactly what they told me I couldn't. I HAVE to prove them wrong.

For example, a few years ago, I was dating this guy, and he was asking me about what my plans were for the coming year. I told him how I had wanted to go to the Jerusalem Center, and if I didn't make it into that, I was thinking about transferring schools so that I could take up cheerleading again. Well, he told me that I wouldn't make it in to the Jerusalem Center (look how wrong he was about that one. I was already set on going, but I knew I had to prove him wrong, too), and he told me that I didn't have the physical ability anymore to do cheerleading, that I wasn't fit enough or strong enough or good enough. Granted, this isn't the best example because I didn't end up transferring schools to do cheerleading and to prove him wrong, but that was simply because it would not have been a logical decision at all, and also because if I switched schools, I wouldn't be able to go to the Jerusalem Center, which was my number one priority. However, if the opportunity had presented itself, I would have worked my butt off to make the team, not only to prove him wrong, but because that's just how I work.

The other day, I was told I couldn't do something. I realized this fact about myself today, as I sat at work trying to figure out everything I could do to prove this person wrong. I haven't set my plan into action yet, but I am determined, and I will be right.

Another thing about me that I already knew, but is reinforced by this experience: I am usually a pretty laid-back, indifferent, and agreeable person, but there are a few things that I am very passionate about, and you don't mess with me about those things. This happens to be one of those things.

Finally, on a completely unrelated note, I have found this saying to be quite true lately.
When it rains, it pours.
That's all that needs to be said about that, but lately, nothing could be more true about my life. Not that it's a bad thing at all, but just a thought.

No comments: