Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Beginnings

I have found lately that I hate beginnings. I do not like the beginnings of semesters, especially. What I find makes this most apparent to me is my dance classes. I get so frustrated having to learn the basics! I just want to already have them down and be able to move onto the things that I can actually use (except, of course, I can't actually use them until I have mastered the basics). Perhaps the most frustrating of this category is my Social Dance class. Currently, we're learning the foxtrot. My class is full of freshman boys who are almost all shorter than me, and not only is it really hard to dance with someone who is shorter than you, but its also hard to follow the lead of someone who's got their arms on you like a dead fish.

Now, I do not in any way claim to be a great dancer. I'm not. I do know a slight amount about ballroom styles of dancing, but very little. I just learn fast. And it's so frustrating to be bogged down by these people who don't understand that you start on your right foot and you step slow, slow, quick quick. It's really not that difficult. Except for the poor girl he's dancing with, because she's trying desperately to follow him, while he's a completely lost cause.

I guess what I've decided, although its pretty impossible, is that I wish that I could simply skip 180-maybe take like a 2 or 3 week course that teaches everything from 180, so I can move on to the real deal. I can learn the basics quickly. I know how to push myself and practice effectively so that I gain the correct muscle memory, and then I move on. Maybe I'll find a partner who is a) tall, b) talented, c) a fast learner. I know it's a lot to ask, but maybe, just maybe, there's someone out there wishing for the same thing.

Once again, this blog has gone exactly the opposite way that I had planned it. I didn't want to vent. I wanted to talk about beginnings. About how they are so frustrating, because you have that awkward phase where you don't know anything. This isn't just for school, by the way, but for just about anything and everything. I wish there was a way to just skip to the good middle part where you really know what you're doing and where there's that understanding and cooperation.

But I suppose its like that old saying, from people and from the scriptures (more or less). You can't have the bad without the good, and without the bad, you would never appreciate the good. So perhaps if I skipped to the really good middle part, I just wouldn't realize how good I have it, because I wouldn't have had the awkward beginning to make it that much better.

Once again, its one of those things that you don't really like, but you know you have to go through it because it will make you a better person. It's worth it.

No comments: