Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sharks

This post has some graphic pictures of a dead shark and a fish, just so you know. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Every Wednesday, I have my Biology lab, in which we dissect different animals. This last week, we dissected a shark. So, my lab partner and I cut open our shark, and started identifying the different organs. Oftentimes, we have a rule in our lab: you can't cut open any of the organs. Don't ask me why, but almost always, we aren't allowed to dissect the actual parts of the animal. So anyway, we were feeling around inside, and I got to the stomach. I was feeling it, and said to my partner, "Hey...I think there's something in here. Feel this." He felt it and agreed, but as we weren't allowed to cut it open, we kinda passed over it. Later on, I got back to the stomach, and started feeling again. I knew there was something in there this time. How did I know? Well, I had 2 main evidences: I definitely felt a tail, and whatever was in there had a spine. I showed this to my lab partner, and we called our TA over. She began to feel it, and agreed with me--there was something in there. We wanted to know what it was. But there was that little rule: no cutting open organs.

As we all know, I have many mottos in life. One of them: rules are made to be broken. My TA looked at the shark, looked at me, and said, "Cut it open. If they ask, it was an accident." We cut open the stomach. Lo and behold, a halfway digested fish! It was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen, hands down. And guess what? I got some pictures, just to share with you.

This is the shark, and on the bottom right corner area is the fish we pulled out of it.



This is the fish from inside our shark's stomach. The curled up part is its tail, and it's kind of missing its head...oh well.


This is the inside of the shark, with our fish near the hole it came out of. The color quality isn't the best on it, but it's as good as it's gonna get.

No comments: