Monday, January 4, 2010

The last 2 years

I've had my computer for 2 years now.

The main thing I do with my computer is listen to music; I'm the kind of person who always has music playing.

Today, I did a little math. I have listened to various songs 38,541 times (as of this very moment, although I'm currently listening to music, and that number is steadily increasing) in the last 2 years. And that doesn't count the hundreds, if not thousands of songs that I listened to most of but skipped the last 10 seconds, songs from my ipod, songs I listened to while practicing dance, and the probably hundreds (again, if not thousands) of songs I've listened to on YouTube and Pandora. So, we'll round up to 40,000, which is probably a great underestimation (as noted by my roommate, who experiences this music playing), but we'll go with it.

There are 730 days in 2 years. Do the math, and that's just under 55 songs a day. We'll say an average song is 3 and a half minutes long. If that assumption is correct, that means that on average, every one of my days in the past 2 years has included 3.208 hours of music in it. That's only 13% of my day. However, think about it:

We'll assume that I spend 7 hours sleeping. That's 29% of my day right there, in which music cannot be a part.

We'll also assume that I spend roughly 4 hours a day in classes, during which I can't listen to music. That's 17%.

All together, those equal 46%. Nearly half of my day is spent doing things where listening to music isn't an option.

I also just realized that I spend roughly 6 hours a week practicing dance, if not more. We'll add enough to make it 4.5 hours.

I work 20 hours a week, and I usually spend 90% of my time there listening to music. That adds 2.9 hours to the number.

7.4 hours spent listening to music out of 24 hours in a day is 31%, and 7.4 our of 13 (24 minus the hours spent sleeping and in class) is 57%.

Fifty-seven percent* of my available time is spent listening to music.

I do not have a problem with this.

*Not a definite number. May actually be more or less; my guess would be more.

No comments: