Saturday, January 23, 2010

Advice on Torturing

I love giving talks in church. I really, really do.

But would you like to know how to torture me?

Give me a topic (say, the importance of family) that is nearly impossible to relate to single, 20's college students, and ask me to give a talk on it.

I can't speak about something I'm not passionate about. I just can't. And it's not that I'm not passionate about my family, because I am.

But it seems that all the stuff in the scriptures, on lds.org, and in every General Conference talk and lesson book that I can get my hands on is about getting married (something I refuse to talk about), raising a family (something that no one in my ward is doing, minus the members of the bishopric), and spending time with family (something nearly impossible for most of us to do, seeing as we're at college and not anywhere near our families). It seems so unnecessary to lecture anyone in my ward about getting married--we get that enough at BYU, and definitely to talk to them about raising children, because none of us have children!

I've spent hours upon hours on this talk. It's not getting anywhere.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

No comments: