Friday, April 10, 2009

Change

Something I've learned recently is how fast life can change directions on you. You don't even see it coming, and then, BAM! Something happens that changes everything you thought you had planned. It can happen in a matter of seconds, and in those few seconds--your life changes completely.

In times like these, I think there are a few options of what to do. One, you can make a rash decision. Thinking that because things have changed so quickly, you must likewise react quickly. Without considering the consequences, all reason goes out the window and the first thing that comes to your mind, you do.

I do not suggest option number one.

I don't know how many other options there are. I'm just going to shoot straight to the point, though. Making decisions about change is not easy. I can't think of anyone who really enjoys large changes in their lives. This post makes me think a lot about a blog post I read a long time ago, that I still think about to this day. I'd recommend reading it. You can read it here. (Just click on the word here) I don't know this guy, but he's a friend of a friend. And I think that his advice is priceless.

As of late, I made a decision that has affected me greatly. It was a decision I didn't want to make. Inaction had lasted me for only so long. I waited for inspiration. I asked for it for a long time. And I've learned something. Sometimes the Lord waits for you to do something first. I took action. I had a plan. I knew exactly what to say, what to do. And then I chickened out. I called up my home teacher and asked him for a blessing. He came over, and from the moment he started to speak, I knew what I had to do. And as soon as he had left, I did what it was that I needed to do. I didn't wait until I had time to start doubting what I knew. And although it was hard, and had an outcome of which I was fairly certain, but didn't want to happen, I know it was the right thing.

I listened to a talk the other day by Elder Dallin H. Oakes about timing. He said how sometimes, we do the right things at the wrong time. Because of this, we may feel like the thing that we knew was right was wrong, when in all reality, it actually wasn't. It just wasn't the right time for it. I think this may be the case with my situation. I feel like where I was was right. So right. But it just isn't the right time. I don't know when the right time will be, or if it will even come. But I do know one thing: the Lord will lead me to do the right thing, at the right time, and He will let me know when it is. And that's what gets me through this day, and the next day, and every day after that. My faith.

1 comment:

Gabe said...

I'm glad you liked the post. I like your blog. Your posts are about as random as mine:-).

P.S. I am taking it you know me through James cause I stalkerishly looked you up on Facebook and saw our mutual friend. Anyway, I think you should convince him to post again, you know, pull him out of retirement.