Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cancer

So, a lot of times I'll just be walking on campus and I will think of something that I should blog about, but then by the time I get home or I get to my computer, I can't remember it. Well, last night, I was trying to remember something, so I went to write it in my phone, and I discovered that the other day when I had thought of one of these things, I wrote it down in my phone! So now you get an insight into the workings of my mind...beware.

What is it about cancer that makes people great? See, 99% of the time, when you hear of someone who has cancer, people say, "Oh, he/she is such a great person, that's so sad." You never hear people say, "Man, that guy is a dirty scumbag, he totally deserves that." Something about cancer just makes people great. Maybe they really HAVE been a scumbag, but as soon as they get cancer**, people say that they are so great, that it couldn't have happened to a better person, how much they hope that person will get through it, etc.

Is it only cancer that makes people feel this way about you? I wish people would say those kinds of things about me, but am I willing to get cancer to accomplish these results? I don't really know if it's worth it to me.

In closing, this insight has given new meaning to me for a particular saying:

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them"


**This almost always excludes self-induced cancers: lung cancer from smoking, skin cancer from fakin'-bakin', etc.

No comments: