Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Reality check

I've been thinking a lot lately about my wedding. I look at other people's weddings and think how great they looked, or what they did that was so fantastic, what I could have or should have or wish that I had done or had for my wedding.

But as I thought about it today, I came to a realization. My wedding was better than any of theirs, even if they had a horse drawn carriage to ride in, hundreds of friends at their reception, or a chocolate fountain, or so many other things. When I look back on my wedding, it may no have been perfect. But I have something that none of them have. I get to be married to the person who makes me happier than I could have ever dreamed I'd be, the man who teaches me so much about myself and loves me so much in spite of my numerous shortcomings.

So when I look at a picture of someone's wedding and think, "Wow, her dress fits her so much better than mine did" or, "Her hair looks so pretty, I wish I'd done my hair that way (or just differently)" or, "She's so lucky, she had so many of her girlfriends who were able to be her bridesmaids," I realize that in the end, none of it matters. I had my best friends right there with me, few though they may have been. But I got to marry my best friend, and I get to spend forever with him. And no one can take that away from me.

No comments: