Friday, September 7, 2007

We made it!

Well, here we are in the Holy Land! The time change for me is about 10 hours, so it's taken some getting used to. But it has been unbelievable. The city is amazing, and everything that goes on here blows my mind. For example today we went down to the "wailing" (more correctly known as the "western") wall. This was for the start of Shabbat, or the Sabbath for the Jews. I have never seen anything like it. They were all reading their scriptures and then they would go up to the wall and put their hands, or sometimes their head, whatever struck them mostly, on the wall, and they would pray. People were there for varying amounts of time, some for 5 minutes, and some were there before I got there and were still there when we were leaving. If they weren't praying or reading, most were standing near the back singing and dancing. It was so cool. We are going to go to the Garden Tomb tomorrow after church and I really can't wait. It's going to be super cool, even though they have told us that most of the brethren don't believe that it is actually where the tomb is. But its ok because its a place set aside for worship and contemplation and to feel closer to God, which is pretty much what I'm looking for here. The school work is hard. I was supposed to do homework today, but I'll admit that I read Harry Potter instead. I read like some 12 chapters today I think, I've only got 10 ish chapters left until I finish the book, but I need to finish my homework too! It's so boring--I made myself sit down and do some before I could read again, and I fell asleep it was so bad. But hopefully I will be able to catch up with everyone again and be able to have fun without feeling guilty about not doing my homework. I'm going to have to learn how to study too, something that I have never really been particularly good at. I need a living room couch to do it on, because my bed is just too inviting to sleep in. There are a few lounge type places on most floors, I just have to get up the initiative to get all my stuff together and go out there.
Well, not too much has happened this week, hopefully by next week I'll have some better stuff to tell you all. For now I get to go wrestle the ants out of my bed and try to convince them that they don't belong there. After 2 nights of dealing with them, I think I'm going to tell like one of the staff here if they have some way of helping me get rid of them, because I am definitely sick of them, no doubt. Anyways, I'll talk to you all later.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

ants! sick. at least its not hobo's. could be worse.