Tuesday, September 18, 2007

This week and last

Dear friends and family,
Well it has been hard for me to get around to doing this. Sorry about that. I write so many emails every day telling people what I'm doing, its hard to find time to do this also to remember what I have and haven't told people. So here goes.
First of all, if you want to see pictures of my trip, go to picasaweb.google.com/brooklynroeller and you can see them. I'm still trying to figure out if I can put a link on here or somehow connect the two websites. We'll see, I don't know if I am that computer savvy yet.
Well, two Shabbats ago we went to the Garden of Gethsemane. It was so amazing. We got to go into this part that was locked off and that most tourists don't get to go to. But at a lot of places, they really like the "Mormon kids" or the "BYU kids" and they let us do stuff that they don't let a lot of people do. So that's pretty cool.
Last week we went on a field trip around Jerusalem. We went to various places around the city so that we could get a feel for the geography here. It was so cool. I got to see the Judean Wilderness, the Dead Sea, Bethlehem, ect. It was sweet. I think my favorite place was Augusta Victoria. They had this huge tower that we had to climb up like 126 stairs or something like that. Anyways that's where I saw the Dead Sea and the Judean Wilderness. So that was pretty cool, cuz we could pretty much see everything. But the best part was that we went down and saw the chapel of it, and the acoustics in there were amazing. And they let us sing for like 15 minutes. It was amazing. I would love to perform in a place like that. Maybe one day I will be able to. Like in the Second Coming or something....haha
Anyways, this last Shabbat we went to the Garden Tomb. I guess that I was wrong about how many of the Brethren said that it's not the place, I guess a lot of them say it is. So we got to see it and also Golgotha. It was definitely not as I imagined it. But then again nothing here is how I thought it would be. But it was so cool. Unlike the Garden of Gethsemane, somehow they managed to get rid of all the sounds of the city, and the Garden Tomb is in a much busier place than Gethsemane. I don't know how they did it but it was amazing. Here we also sat down and a whole bunch of us just sang hymns. It was really cool. I love it here. I never want to leave. It seems like we have been here for an eternity but it has only been like 2 weeks now. The first week seemed to take forever, but now time is starting to fly by. I don't want it to go fast.
Well, I am going to Egypt next week!! I leave on Sunday, and I can't wait!! I guess there is a shop on the way there that sells papyrus, and they have all the facsimiles from the Pearl of Great Price on papyrus so we can buy them. We all laughed when we heard but then most of us realized that we were probably going to get them. Haha I don't think I'll get one because I am cheap and I think I'd rather get something else on papyrus than that. But its ok. I will be different from everyone else. Speaking of everyone else, the people here are amazing. We really have such a good group, and we all get along and fit in with each other. I love it. Granted, there are a few weird people, but nothing I can't handle, and I saw it coming, because, I mean, this is BYU we're talking about. They're kinda hard to avoid. Anyways I probably won't post another blog until after Egypt, but I will tell all y'all about it. Love ya!

No comments: