Thursday, December 11, 2008

Direction

It seems like lately I've been posting mainly song lyrics, so I decided to write a real post this time.

Today I was looking through a notebook from this semester, and I found something I wrote while I was waiting for one of my TA's about 2 or so weeks ago. I'm not going to share all of it, but you can have a taste.

Sometimes I find myself moving in my own direction, and sometimes I am carried along by another, even if I don't choose to be. As much as I don't want to admit it, my direction can be affected and even changed by the choices and actions of others. While sometimes this may be a bad thing, I find that it can also be beneficial. Spencer W. Kimball said that the Lord does notice us, but it is usually through another person that He meets our needs. Perhaps this direction changing of mine and of others is how the Lord is correcting, or even simply guiding us. Maybe the direction we were headed in before wasn't necessarily bad, but He's got something better in mind for us, even if we don't see it right at first. He knows the things that we need to learn, and He knows the best way to teach us.

I often find that I didn't intend to begin writing about something religious, but it often drifts in that direction. Again, not a bad thing, just not my original intention. Then again, things don't often work out the way we planned, do they?

And that's what I wrote about, or at least the Readers Digest version. As I continue to think about direction, though, I've had some ideas about it all. Sometimes I think that my life is like swinging on a swing. Back and forth, back and forth, but never really seeming to get anywhere. I learn something new with each swing, and perhaps get higher and higher, or lose speed and get a little lower, or get tired and slow down, but there's not much variation from that. Once again, not that this is necessarily a bad thing, just something I've noticed. I think a lot, if not all, of our lives are like this. The question is, how/when do we get to jump from the swing, to run free, to have complete control over our lives. Do we ever get to? I'm not sure. For now, I'll love my swing. I'll embrace the rise and fall of it all, and just lean back, close my eyes, and let the wind blow through my hair. :)

No comments: